ROCKPORT 

USGenWeb

On Line Genealogy Page

Rockport, Maine

A Deep-Water Harbor Town

History

Rockport, was settled in 1769. Goose River Village (as it was known until 1852), was originally part of the Megunticook Plantation, incorporated on the 17th of February, 1791, as Camden. Shipbuilding, ice harvesting and the manufacture of lime were important early industries and remnants of the great stone kilns still dot the shoreline. The largest quarry from which the limerock came is now the beautiful 'Lily Pond'.

In 1817, 300 casks of lime were sent to Washington, DC for use building the United States Capitol, which had been damaged by the British during the War of 1812. In 1852, the citizens of Goose River voted to change their village's name to Rockport. On February 25, 1891, Rockport officially split from Camden because of a dispute over the cost of constructing a bridge. The town of Rockport was born and from Camden it took half the population, three quarters of the land, and most importantly the profitable lime and ice industries.

Rockport has a longstanding reputation as an artists' community, with notable artists and art institutions playing a significant role in the town's economic and social life.

Rockport was incorporated on the 25th of August, 1891.

Sailing ships were built here and sent around the world. The men of Rockport went to sea until they married and settled down. West Rockport men were primarily quarry workers and farmers.

Features

Rockport's most notable feature is the magnificent, mile long, Rockport Harbour about which the late Charles Kuralt said that if he had 365 days to spend he would spend 364 of them at the beautiful harbor of Rockport, Maine. It is guarded by Indian Island Light. It is situated on the coast just east of the intersection of Highways #1 and #90..

The mouth of Goose River, after which the town was once named, is marked by a waterfront park. A granite statue of Andre, the seal made famous by the movie, is a favorite there.

The deep, clear, waters of Lily Pond fill an old lime quarry.

Highway #1 now bypasses the town, it's beautiful coast line, tree shade main street and historic downtown area.

Sources

  Volunteers With Books  

To request a lookup from any of the references, click on the address of the owner and ask them politely. Please make your requests as specific as possible.

Reference

Author

Owner/Email

'Camden-Rockport Births, Marriages and Deaths to 1892'

1985, I. Maresh and J. Watts

Marlene Groves


'Maine Families in 1790'Vol. 1-6, one generation back and one forward

ed. by Gray and Anderson

Mary J. Coombs


'Maine and NH Families'

Walter Goodwin Davis

Mary J. Coombs

Camden Census Records 1800-1880 (Rockport was part of Camden until 1891

.

Edward J. Walsh History Center

Knox County Census Lookups, maximum 5

.

Ann Davis

Camden, Rockport,Thomaston, Union & Warren Directory, 1903 & most years 1927-1985

.

Edward J. Walsh History Center

The combined Rockland, Camden, Rockport, Thomaston, Union and Warren Directories for 1942.

.

Rockport Library

The combined Rockland, Camden, Rockport and Thomaston Directories for 1950, 1973, 1979, 1980

.

Rockport Library

Rockland, Camden, Rockport, and Thomaston Directory 1947

H. A. Manning Company

Edward J. Walsh History Center

Rockland and Thomaston Directory. Including...sections of Rockport served by Rockland and Thomaston post offices on RFD. 1952

H. A. Manning Company

Edward J. Walsh History Center

'History of Camden and Rockport'
(no surname index)

1907,Ruel Robinson

Edward J. Walsh History Center

'Courier Gazette Vital Records'

Charles Candage

Delete

Surname Index of the three Cemeteries of Rockville and West Rockport

.

Delete

Vital Records of Rockville and West Rockport

.

Delete