MONHEGAN  

Genealogy Links



Monhegan Island, Maine

The Artist's Delight

History

The area was first explored in 1605. Largest of a group of islands formerly called Monhegan Plantation, it's now administrated by the Monhegan Island Trust.

Monhegan Island is about 1 mile wide and 1.5 miles long.

In 1605, it was named Isle St. George by George Waymouth and, in 1606, Isle La Nef by Champlain.

Monhegan was the rendezvous of the Popham Colony in 1607. They landed and held a Thanksgiving Service for their safe arrival, under the cross which had been there erected by George Waymouth.

Please Note

For all things legal: Courts, Sherriff, etc. Monhegan is part of Lincoln County. For all things educational it is part of SAD 40 in Thomaston, Knox County.
The 911 emergency dispatch comes out of Rockland, Knox County. Monhegan's zip code is 04851

Features

It is situated off the coast south of Rockland. Take the ferry from Port Clyde, at th south end of Route #121. The Monhegan Light is located here. There are other lighthouses on other islands in the group.

Sources

Sena Spear Havasy
KnoxGenWeb Co-ordinator

Most recent revision May 2011

Copyright Notice: All files on this site are copyrighted by their creator. They may be linked to but may not be reproduced on another site without specific permission from Sena Havasy senahav@gmail.com and/or their contributor. Although public information is not in and of itself copyrightable, the format in which they are presented, the notes and comments, etc., are. It is however, quite permissable to print or save the files to a personal computer for personal use ONLY.